We are pleased to announce that Classics and Contemporary Popular Culture, Volume 1, Issue 1 of Dialogue the Interdisciplinary Journal Popular Culture and Pedagogy is now live. Head on over to http://journaldialogue.org and have a look!
Archive | NewsRSS feed for this section
2013 Peter C. Rollins Book Award Winners
The SWPACA Executive Team and the Peter C. Rollins Book Award judging panel are pleased to announce that the Rollins Book Award has been expanded to recognize outstanding scholarship in multiple areas of popular and American culture.
Traditionally, the Rollins Book Award has recognized manuscript-length work in the area of Film/Television Studies. The Rollins Award will continue to do so, with the annual recipient in that category being invited to present the Keynote address at the SWPACA Awards Reception the following year. In addition, the Rollins Book Award committee will recognize one to three volumes/year in the category of general popular culture and a “rolling” category identified each year based on trends in popular and/or American cultural studies.
For 2013, the Peter C. Rollins book award winners are:
- Film/Television and History: Alisa Perren, Indie, Inc.: Miramax and the Transformation of Hollywood in the 1990s (U of Texas P, 2012)
- Popular Culture: Julie Anne Taddeo and Cynthia J. Miller, Steaming into a Victorian Future: A Steampunk Anthology (Scarecrow P, 2012)
- Sequential Art/Comics and Animation Studies: Matthew J. Smith and Randy Duncan, Critical Approaches to Comics: Theories and Methods (Routledge, 2011)
Each year the Rollins Award Committee welcomes submissions of book-length work (single/multiple author or edited collection) published within the previous two calendar years. Books published in 2012 or 2013 may be submitted for consideration.
For full submission guidelines, please see visit the Rollins Keynote Speaker Page.
New Name, New Look, New Logo, New Web Site
The Southwest Popular/American Culture Association (SWPACA) is pleased to announce its 35th annual conference will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico, February 19-22, 2014. This year marks several areas of growth for the Association:
- The association name will change, effective May 2013, from the “Southwest/Texas Popular and American Culture Association” to the “Southwest Popular/American Culture Association”
- The SWPACA web site has been updated and moved to its new home at www.southwestpca.org – be sure to check back regularly for news and info!
- The SWPACA is pleased to announce the launch of Dialogue: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Popular Culture and Pedagogy. Please visit www.journaldialogue.org for more information.
- • The SWPACA’s flagship award, the Peter C. Rollins Book Award, established a new standard in 2013, recognizing three outstanding volumes in separate areas of popular and American culture:
- Traditional Film/Television Studies
- Popular Culture Studies
- Sequential Art/Comics and Animation Studies
It is our goal to attract a new group of authors with these new subject categories in honoring the legacy of Peter C. Rollins the founder of our organization.